This American Life Mobile Apps
Developed by PRX for iPhone, iPad and Android
This American Life, the hit public radio show from Chicago Public Media, has collaborated with PRX to launch apps for the iPhone, iPad, and Android. The iPhone app won a Webby Award for 2010.
The app provides unprecedented access to the entire archive of TAL radio shows going back to 1995.
- Listen to streaming audio of each radio show anytime you want
- Explore extras like behind-the-scenes video with the show’s producers, outtakes from the TV show, interviews between Ira Glass and Terry Gross, and some of Ira’s earliest radio productions
- Get notified when the latest show is about to air
- Find shows by contributors like David Sedaris, Mike Birbiglia, Sarah Vowell, and John Hodgman
- Browse staff picks and keep your own favorites
- View trailers and download episodes of the Showtime TV series
- Save one show at a time for offline listening (save three on the iPad)
- Keep track of shows you’ve heard
- Play episodes in the background while you do other stuff on your device
Get the Apps
- iPhone: Download from the iTunes Store
- iPad: Download from the iTunes Store
Android: Download from the Android Market
iPad App Features
- “My Dashboard” section tracks your favorites, bookmarks, and shows you’ve heard
- Download THREE episodes at a time for offline listening
- Extras like a how-to-make-radio comic book, DVD commentaries, photos and more
- Live Twitter feed
- Optimized audio playback and scrubbing
- Get it now!
A Preview of the iPhone & Android App in Six Acts
Find a show you’ll like or
dig into the extras
Listen to any radio episode back to the show’s 1995 launch
Learn more about a show, then stream, save, buy, or share it
Watch trailers of the Emmy-winning TV show
Keep your own favorites list and get TAL staff picks, too
Set a reminder for the live weekly broadcast, which you can stream from the app
About This American Life
This American Life is mostly true stories of everyday people, but it’s also really hard to describe. Here’s what it’s not: It’s not a news show or a talk show or a call-in show. Instead, it’s stories that are like little movies for radio. There are funny moments and emotional moments and moments where the people in the story say interesting, surprising things about it all. It’s a public radio show for people who don’t necessarily like public radio. It’s produced by Chicago Public Radio (WBEZ) and distributed by Public Radio International.
This American Life also produced two seasons of an Emmy-winning TV show on the Showtime network.
To learn more, visit www.thisamericanlife.org.
Got praise, bug reports or other feedback? Please visit this page.